Monday, March 12, 2012

Apple Spice Cake… no dairy/no egg

Charlie’s first birthday was going to be perfect, so if we could avoid him getting sick that would be great! He’s a little intolerant to dairy and has never had eggs before, so I had to find a no dairy/no egg recipe for a smash cake!

charlie's cake

I found a great recipe for a no dairy/no egg cake on Wholesome Baby Food, it’s a Apple Spice cake:

As with any "non traditional" cake, the batter for this cake will not seem "right" so don't panic!

1/2 cup molasses
1 cup applesauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-3/4 cup flour
1 tsp ginger

Mix the molasses and applesauce in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake in a nonstick 8 x 8-inch baking pan or one sprayed with a non-stick spray, in a 350° F for 30 to 45 minutes, or until it tests done.

**The batter may be a bit dry and you may need to add more applesauce or a bit of water. Try adding 1/4 cup of applesauce first then gradually add a bit of water by tablespoon**

For the icing, a baker friend of mine gave me this recipe:

1 package tofutti cream cheese
1/2 cup powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla

This cake was delicious!! A little dense, but the yummy smell alone made this cake worth it! I may just bake it to make the house smell like it again! And my cupboard is still smelling of cloves… love it!

I ended up cutting the cake down and layering it to make it into a baby sized cake, frosted it with my crazy bright blue and green and let Charlie go nuts!!

cake2

And no… I didn’t turn my baby blue on his 1st birthday. It washed out beautifully!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I came across your posting preparing for my son's 1st bday party this weekend. My son also does not tolerate cows milk quite well and has not had eggs yet. I was looking for a special cake he could enjoy. I will try this recipe you found. Thank you!
    Denver, CO

    ReplyDelete